Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"Love on a Dime" by Cara Lynn James


Lilly Westbrook leads a seemingly charmed life. Part of the social elite, she spends her 22nd summer vacationing on the beach in Rhode Island, where the rich go to play. Lilly doesn't let her social position define her life, however, and covertly does the mission work she feels called to do. Her biggest secret of all? Using her writing gift to pen dime novels under the name 'Fannie Cole;' but will her new publisher and former fiance keep her secret, especially when a scandalous reporter tries to blackmail her and publish her secret?


I admired Lilly for her faith, her determination to do the right thing in face of adversity, and her talent; however, sometimes she seemed unnecessarily scared of trusting those who loved her the most with her true self. To stand so strongly for keeping her work a secret and yet not also stand up for her faith to her parents and fiance irritated me. I found myself alternately annoyed with and admiring Lilly. Despite her quirks, something intrigued me and I couldn't wait to read the end.


This book was well written and I will definitely look for James' next novel!


Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for review. My opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment