Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Monkey See, Monkey Do ... Making Jelly


Strawberries are in season here - actually, they're almost over! - and so it's time to make jelly.  I've been making jelly for as long as I can remember - first with my mom, and now for years on my own - and it's exciting to have the kids help me now.

My Little Man and I packed up our buckets and headed out with some friends ...


and we picked several buckets' worth of berries.  Because so much of jelly making involves sharp knives and hot equipment, there's not much else he can be involved with.


This big girl, however, is old enough to be much more involved, and she likes it that way.  She's a GREAT helper!  She was a wonderful water-swirler to get all the dirt off the berries after I'd capped them.


She transferred the berries out of one sink of water to the second and swirled them again to give them one last rinse.


After washing them, she scooped them out of the water and put them into the blender to be measured.


When things slowed down a bit, she tried her hands at capping her first berries.  She got several severed from their stems but will definitely need a bit more practice with the paring knife before I turn her loose on any more fruit!  This task made her seem so big, though - she's definitely growing up.

Do you make any jelly at your house?  Are there any short people involved??

No comments:

Post a Comment