Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Patriotic Dress - Update


I recently wrote about how My Big Helper and I made this patriotic dress for her lemonade stand.  We had lots of fun making it together, and she's excited to wear her new dress.

I got the idea from this post and I pinned it on Pinterest.  I kept thinking about it but was hesitant to try a new sewing technique since sewing is not exactly my strong suit, despite my desire to become an accomplished seamstress.

Enter:  Rachel of Better Life Bags.  Rachel sews handbags and sells them at her Etsy shop of the same name.  She takes part of the profit and uses it to give business start-up loans to people in third world countries.  She's helping them to improve their life circumstances, and I admire that so much that I keep reading her blog and looking at the pictures of her products, even though I'm not in a place to purchase one right now (perhaps sewing well enough to have my own Etsy shop should be on my bucket list).

Rachel sponsored a Pinterest challenge a few weeks ago.  She asked people to complete a project from their Pinterest page and then send her pics of the finished results.  This was the incentive I needed!  Andi and I got to work, and she now has a new dress.

Pinterest is good for more than just keeping you organized or inspiring competition or making me somewhat jealous or even sharing ideas.  It can be plain old inspiring, too.

The Pinterest challenge is still going strong, and a winner has yet to be determined.  (If you're interested in voting, you must first 'like' Better Life Bags on Facebook and you can then vote by clicking on the picture(s) you like.)  Whether this is your cup of tea or not, however, if you're in the market for a new bag - or have an occasion coming up for which you could give one - please consider Better Life Bags.

How wonderful is it when you can get a needed/desired product AND help someone else halfway around the world??

** To read more about how buying these bags benefits others, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment