Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gobble, Gobble: A Turkey Trinket


When I saw this on Pinterest a few weeks ago, I had to try to make one.  The kids and I decided that it would make the perfect gift for Grandma for her birthday, and now I'm hoping they'll make one for me, too.

To make a Turkey light block, you'll need one glass block and one light kit.  We bought ours at Hobby Lobby and used a 40% off coupon.    Also, you'll need acrylic paints, brushes, and sealant spray.  Candy corn is optional.

I wanted to use both kids' hands, so we made our block double-sided.  First, we chose our turkey colors, and then I painted the kids' hands according to their plan.  To make the turkey print, I painted their palms and thumbs brown, with their fingers different colors.

After the block dried, we flipped it over and did the other side.  I worried that the hand prints would be difficult to distinguish from the print on the other side of the block, but when done, I think it looked pretty good.

We let the turkey prints sit for an hour or so for the paint to dry well.  We used a Sharpie to add details to the turkey's face and to write, "Gobble, Gobble" near him.  Certain colors of Sharpies worked better than others - next time I'll use paint for this.

Then we were ready to create the light fixture!  We added a bit of candy corn inside for fun - not so much that it would be near the light bulb - and plugged the fixture into the whole in the glass block.



Voila!  That's it!  Plug it in and watch your turkeys shine.  

How do you decorate for Thanksgiving?




”I

3 comments:

  1. That looks great! And your blog header is darling! I wanted to invite you to link up at my TGIF Linky Party -http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties - I am also your newest followe. I'd love for you to follow back, If you want to =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so cute! stopping by from frugal girls

    ReplyDelete