Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

GratiTuesday - Passing Down Handicrafts


When I was a kid I loved learning how to do the things I saw my older family members do.  I learned how to sew and crochet from my mom, decorate cakes from my grandmother, and embroider and from my great-grandmother.

This weekend, I got to see the beginning of the transfer of these skills to my daughter.


My Big Helper got excited to see my mom's crocheting and asked to learn.  She wanted to make a blanket for Sarah, her doll.

Mom and I took turns sitting with her and helping her make stitches.

Before we knew it, I spotted this as we made dinner:


She pulled out the yarn and went to town on her own!  She even recruited Daddy to hold the yarn and correct the tension as she went.


I'm sure it won't be long until she's crocheting away completely on her own.

I was 6 when Mom taught me to crochet - exactly her age - and I loved it as much as she does.  My first "piece" also turned out to be for a doll.

Isn't it wonderful to see the circle of life at work?

For more GratiTuesday, visit Heavenly Homemakers.



AMonthofThankfulMondays


Come back tomorrow for information about finding a Titus 2 mentor - and information about my guest post on this topic.

3 comments:

  1. That's very beautiful! What a wonderful thing to see...and to remember! Thanks for sharing this and linking up!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful! My sister taught me to crochet when I was about 7 or 8,but unfortunately I've forgotten how. It looks like your daughter really enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blog I have read. Here you have great opportunity to learn in fabulous manner.
    Handicrafts in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete