Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chicken Corn Soup


At home in Pennsylvania this soup is really popular, and whenever I'm hungry for home I make Chicken Corn Soup.  There isn't anything simpler, but it's sweet and comforting and hearty without being heavy.

As My Little Man moved from being a toddler into the preschool years, I began to make soup again (I unconsciously avoided them before that - maybe because it was just too difficult to feed to young children).   To my dismay, he abhorred soup and complained about each and every variety - except this one.  As a corn addict, he thought this soup was awesome.  I crushed crackers in it to make it easier for him to eat, and he cleaned his bowl each and every time.

So if you'd like to make your own Chicken Corn Soup, here's what you'll need:

  • chicken - I like to use split chicken breasts
  • several cups of corn - I use the corn that we bagged and froze last summer
  • water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 can of creamed corn (optional)
To make your soup, just:
  1. Boil your chicken.  I put it in a Dutch oven and bring it to a boil, then turn it down and let it simmer for an hour.  This will both cook your chicken and create yummy broth for your soup, all at the same time.
  2. Remove the chieken from the broth.
  3. Cool the chicken, then shred with forks.
  4. Chill the broth.  I just put the whole pot in the fridge until the next day.
  5. Skim the fat off the top of the broth.  This can be done easily with a slotted spoon or a spider.
  6. Return the pot to the stovetop.  Add the chicken back into the broth, adding a cup or two of water if necessary.
  7. Add the corn to the pot.  If you'd like it to be a bit thicker and sweeter, add canned creamed corn.  (My husband prefers it this way.)
  8. Let your soup simmer for about ten minutes and serve with crackers.
I love to make this soup as we head into spring.  The sweet corn flavor just promises summer and warm days ahead!

What's your favorite meal for these back-and-forth spring days??



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious - and easy. Yay. I'll have to put this in the file of "Recipes for Soup Suppers during Advent and Lent". Jerry is in charge of those, so he is always the default soup maker if no one else volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would definitely be a great soup for that. At home in PA, whenever there is a craft fair or auction during the winter, you'll see women selling soup and baked goods - and this soup is always one of the ones served. Simple and yummy!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I think this would be a winner at my house! My kids don't like tomato based soups for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine adore tomatoes but don't like tomato-based soups, either. Maybe it's a kid thing? I hope yours like this as much as mine do.

      PS - My mom puts the authentic Amish rivels in it. I'm always too impatient to add those, though they're very good. I usually serve it with corn muffins or biscuits.

      Delete
  3. This looks really good. We always have a ton of corn bagged and frozen. This is a great use for it. Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete