Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

GratiTuesday - Birthday Celebrations


On Sunday morning My Little Man turned 5.

Exactly five years ago we were in the hospital after a long night of getting nowhere, with heart monitors screaming and oxygen masks necessary for keeping his heart rate under control.  With doctors and nurses bursting into the room, anxiously waiting to see if emergency surgery would be necessary.

All of that after months of waiting to see if the two brain cysts found during a routine exam would remain or dissolve.  If still there, anything from learning disabilities on out could be the result.  What would our baby be like?  Would he be able to learn "normally" - play, learn, develop, grow?  And what is normal, anyway?

Five years later, I remember that crazy night with thankfulness that My Little Man has no memory of our traumatic night - and we played hard to celebrate.


He chose a play day with family at Duke Gardens.


(I think he got a bit frustrated with all of my picture-taking, but he tried to be patient.  Gotta love that.)


I love how curious he is - he wants to explore everything.


The rest of us had trouble keeping up with him - he took on all 55 acres at a run.


When he finally stopped running, it was to play football with Daddy.


And then we hiked some more.


Explored some more.  Mommy took more pictures.


As it began to rain, we ran through the Asian Garden, stopping only for a few more pictures and to check out the distinct cultural elements of this section of the Garden.


He asked for a dino cake, and so this is what I came up with - a peanut butter cake with a chocolate cheesecake volcano.


I think he liked it.  He stopped and studied it for a while before asking to take the dinos off to play with them.


It always feels good to give a present that brings out a smile - and this dino book did the trick.

Watching my Little Man run and play, explore nature and study the science of dinosaurs makes me indescribably happy.  He's truly growing into the (very) young man that God created him to be - and nothing makes me happier than to watch that transformation.

Happy birthday, My Little Man!  I can't tell you how happy I am to be your mommy.

For more GratiTuesday, visit Heavenly Homemakers.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your little man! Sounds like a great day. I love the cake, especially the chocolate cheesecake volcano. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great way to celebrate a birthday. We really need to make a trip to Duke. I think you wrote about visiting cathedral a while ago. Happy birthday Little Man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birthday wishes to your boy! Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate. :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete