Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Inspired Wednesday - Refresh Your Resources



A few months ago a friend told me about a used curriculum sale in a nearby city. She said that, in addition to curriculum, there would be an abundance of books - just good books - and that I might want to go.

I put it on my calendar with the goal of having next year's units outline before the sale so that I could look for the appropriate resources.

I didn't get there.  While I have a few concrete plans, I'm far behind where I want to be in my plans.

I did make it to the sale, however, and it was a wonderful experience! 

Not only were people selling curriculum for prices far below what I've heard (FIAR for $5, anyone?  TT for $20?) but there were quality books to go along with all of it.  


I saw Christian novels for kids.  I saw nonfiction history and science books.  I saw mystery books, cookbooks, and how-to books.  I found American Girl books for twenty-five cents each and a whole box full of Encyclopedia Brown that someone had marked 'free.'  I even found the math book I wanted to use for My Little Man for only $5!

It was a wonderful morning.

After nearly two hours of digging through boxes of books, I left with two big tote bags overflowing with books of all kinds - and two boxes of plaster of paris stacked on top of that.  I'm not sure what we'll use that for exactly yet, but I know it will come in handy.

We spent some time 'out' in the big urban sprawl for Father's Day after that, and the kids were as good as gold.

Why? 

They had their noses buried in book after book every minute we were in the car, eagerly reading about the Sioux and Josefina and all sorts of other things.

They're excited to get started for next school year, and although I don't have all of my plans in place, I'm excited again, too.  I love the resources that are available and how a 'new' book can inspire all sorts of ideas.

It's going to be a great year.

Some other great places to find inexpensive books are:
  • yard sales
  • thrift stores
  • library sales
  • public school sales
  • public school employees -they often know when used books are being discarded!
Where do you go for your school resources?  Have you started collecting them?

Last week Nancy at There Is Grace shared a review of the recent animated movie Epic.  I love that this movie demonstrates strong moral character, especially doing what's right even when it's had.  We need more of those kinds of movies! To find out more, visit There Is Grace - Nancy, please visit our Inspired Wednesday page and take the "I was featured on Washed Up Inspired Wednesdays' button back with you.  


A Nest in the Rocks


If you have a post about an encouraging activity, project, or trip that you've taken, please link up below and add a link back to this post.  Either way, please read on to find out more about a fun activity that we enjoy here in our nest, and be sure to hop over to Where He Leads, We Follow to check out Stephanie's  Inspiring Wednesday post, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment