Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

GratiTuesday - Let's Eat Worms! (Or Not)




http://anestintherocks.blogspot.com/2014/05/gratituesday-lets-eat-worms-or-not.html

They even had the opportunity, thanks to one generous mom, to taste real crickets.


Most of us were pretty grossed out by the worms.  They weren't real, and the boys figured that out pretty quickly, and then they got into the fun of it all, but the sight of real cricket legs and wings lying on the plate were another thing altogether.

When the event was over, I had to pick up the plate with a few remaining crickets and a pile of legs for disposal, and it was hard.  I don't like bugs.  I really don't like dead things, and I couldn't help but think, "I'm SO GLAD that I don't have to eat these things!"

But the truth is that many people do.  In many parts of the world, bugs are considered completely acceptable food.  I've seen pictures of them skewered and for sale in marketplaces.  Piled in bins to be picked out and savored.

Ugh.  I can't imagine looking forward to that meal, and I don't have to.

I live in a place where I can choose to eat bugs - or not.  As much as we Americans complain about our food supply, there is an abundance of things to eat - and most of them are good.  We can choose to eat bugs - or we can choose to eat processed foods - or we can choose fresh produce - or "real" meat like beef or chicken; but the point is that we can CHOOSE.

So many people can't.

We might get upset if we have to do without our favorite brand of soda or live without chocolate for a while.  We get frustrated if our coffee isn't the right brand or our tea is too sweet, but we have more than enough.  We are spoiled by the abundance of our choices.

I am so very thankful for our abundance.  I'm thankful for our ability to choose.  I'm thankful for being able to eat meals that don't include bugs.

And I'll try not to take those choices for granted.

For more GratiTuesday, visit Heavenly Homemakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment